Written by By Vanessa Ferguson, CNN
The Quebec government says it will invest up to C$20 million ($15.3 million) over the next three years to improve the province’s ability to prevent crime and improve coordination between federal, provincial and municipal police.
On Monday, Public Security Minister Geneviève Guilbault and Public Safety Minister Martin Coiteux will announce the new program in Montreal. The money will go toward programs like Communauté métropolitaine de Montréal (CMM), a program that provides support to immigrants, as well as Ransard, a program that uses trauma counselling to help victims of crime.
In addition, the government says it will work with the Quebec RCMP to expand on the Risascimento project, a public-private partnership program that aims to improve police services through contracting for part of the cost.
Rainsarc Investissement, the Quebec Ministry of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and the University of Montreal also announced the creation of a program that connects people with knowledge of major trends in their communities through trade events.
Luka Magnotta, who pleaded guilty to killing and dismembering his college student lover Jun Lin
On Wednesday, the region will hold a grand event to celebrate Quebec’s mayors, police officers and judges, and add context to issues like the controversy over the police investigation into the massacre in Montreal last week by Luka Magnotta.
Investigators are looking for new leads in the investigation after Magnotta pleaded guilty last year to the murder of the 33-year-old man.
Last week, Daniel St-Amand, a 36-year-old janitor, went on a stabbing spree at the courthouse, killing six people and injuring five others.
According to a victim rights advocate at the Montreal courthouse, a man in a nearby room was able to lock the doors, shut the windows and hide for safety before a security guard helped the wounded victim and called the police.